Sunday, September 27, 2009

Guimáro Mencía, Ribeira Sacra, 2008


I will begin this post by stating that this was my first time tasting the Mencía grape in any bottling, and was also my first exposure to the wines of the Ribeira Sacra region. Before trying the wine, I had never really heard of the region, which has remained relatively obscure for most people. Upon first tasting this wine, I immediately realized its soul connection to Cabernet Franc, the darling red grape of Sancerre. However, the warm climate and drainage from extraordinarily steep terraces shows in the rich concentration and unique grip shown in the palate.

The wine is a beautiful ruby color in the glass, leading to aromas of red berries, licorice, fresh-picked herbs and roasted spices. In the mouth, I found more red fruits balanced to crisp acidity dominating what ends up being a light-bodied wine, but with silky tannins, and great chalky minerality. Great long finish for the price: $13.

0 comments:

Post a Comment